Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Jesus People Against Pollution

by Onleilove

Today Evangelist [Charlotte] Keys, founder of Jesus People Against Pollution (JPAP), spoke to our group about her organization. I was inspired by her organization's efforts to bring environmental justice to the Columbia, Mississippi community. Agent Orange affected this community by contaminating the soil and water. In the 70's an explosion caused by the toxins occurred. A park, school, churches, houses and trailers are on top of this toxic wasteland. The government officials' solution was to build a barbed-wired fence around the land that did not have property on it. The fence seemed useless because it cannot stop the effects of the toxic waste. Evangelist Keys told us stories of young women who have had five or six miscarriages due to the health effects of toxic waste. She also took us around the area to visit neighbors who were involved with JPAP. One of the neighborhood residents who struck me was a boy who scored straight A's in all his classes. I was inspired to see a child working hard and thriving even under the worst of circumstances. The second resident who had a great effect on me was an elderly woman who lived in a dilapidated trailer. I thought of my own grandmother and how every elderly person should be able to spend the end of his or her life in dignity.

I found myself feeling angry, and frustrated about the conditions these people lived in. But I also have hope in Evangelist Keys' work; and how she is "anointed to preach good news to the poor." I believe that as everyone of the immersion participants return and speak out on this issue it will raise the awareness needed to help the residents affected by this environmental injustice to be relocated. I will bear witness and tell my friends, family and classmates about the work of JPAP. Today I thought of the incinerator in my inner-city neighborhood of E.N.Y., Brooklyn and I have been inspired to incorporate environmental justice into my ministry there.

No comments: